About 1,400 people managers and HR practitioners gathered at the Waterfront Cebu City Hotel and Casino for the 56th PMAP Annual Conference last July 17, 2019. Here are some of the highlights for the first day of the conference:
Registration counters were open at 7:00am for delegates who arrived at the venue early. Like previous years, registration was done digitally and participants were issued IDs that would serve as their gate pass to the various events in the PMAP Annual Conference like the concurrent sessions.
Opening of the PMAP Expo and Mentoring Cafe
The PMAP Expo and Mentoring Café were also opened before the start of the program so delegates could go around and visit the booths of the different sponsors and partners. Through the mentoring café, interested delegates could sit down over coffee with experienced HR practitioners to learn from them.
Following opening ceremonies that acknowledged the different PMAP Chapters and Past Presidents through the singing of the National Anthem and PMAP Hymn, 2019 PMAP Vice President and Conference Chair Loi Echevarria, FPM officially started the engine and officially opened the 56th PMAP Annual Conference. This was followed by a colourful dance number by the San Diego Dance Company who showcased what Cebu is known for – the Sinulog Festival.
Keynote Session: ACCELERATING HR.PH EXECLLENCE: Convergence and Conversation
For the Keynote session, 2019 PMAP President Gerry Plana sat down with SHRM Leader Achal Khanna to discuss the situation of HR in their respective countries and how excellence in the profession can be achieved.
PLENARY ROUNDTABLE DISCUSSION 1: Keeping the Human in HR in the Age of AI (Strategies, Programs, Best Practices in Valuing People)
Brother Dennis Magbanua, FSC, President and Chancellor of the De La Salle – College of St. Benilde and Michelle Garcia, FPM, 2018 PMAP President and VP – People of TaskUs discussed what jobs are still relevant despite the age of artificial intelligence and what are the people programs being done to address this. This session was moderated by Hannah De Lumen, Leadership and Team Assessment Manager, Regional Talent Center of Competence, Nestle Service Center (Malaysia).
HR EXCELLENCE SHOWCASE
The entire afternoon was dedicated to a sharing of best practices by the Regional Winners of the PMAP Awards. The following companies shared their practices with the PMAP Community:
Employer of the Year
· Luzon: Holy Angel University
· Visayas: Lear Automotive Netherlands B.V., Philippine Branch
· NCR (SME): PACUCOA (Philippine Associataion of Colleges and Universities Commission on Accreditation)
· NCR (Large): Makati Shangri-la Hotel and Resorts, Inc.
· Mindanao (Public Sector): Local Government Unit of General Santos City
People Manager of the Year
· Mindanao (Public Sector): Leah Y. Tolimao, Local Government Unit of General Santos City
People Program of the Year
· Luzon: 360 Degree Challenge of SIA Engineering Philippines
· Visayas: Qualfon Mission Program of Qualfon Philippines
· NCR (Private Sector): E-Champ Model of Metrobank Card Corporation
· NCR (Public Sector): Volunteerific Program of Land Bank of the Philippines
· Mindanao (Public Sector): Human Resource Development Program of the Local Government Unit of General Santos City
43rd PMAP Awards Night
The Awards Night concluded this year’s search for the 43rd PMAP Awards. During that evening, the following companies emerged victorious among the 11 national finalists:
Employer of the Year: Makati Shangri-la Hotel and Resorts, Inc.
People Program of the Year: 360 Degree Challenge of SIA Engineering Philippines
Employer of the Year (Public Sector): LGU of General Santos City
People Manager of the Year (Public Sector): Leah Y. Tolimao, LGU of General Santos City
People Program of the Year (Public Sector): Volunteerific Program of Land Bank of the Philippines