Updated: Aug 5, 2019
As part of the 56th Annual Conference last July 17-19, 2019 at the Waterfront Cebu City Hotel and Casino, PMAP put the spotlight on the best organizations, programs and people managers who have shown excellence in people management.
Last July 17, 2019, the Regional Winners of the 43rd PMAP Awards each presented to the delegates their respective best practices that led them to be winners in their respective regions. PMAP recognized the following winners from the regional areas of Luzon, Visayas, Mindanao and NCR:
Employer of the Year:
· Luzon: Holy Angel University
· Visayas: Lear Automotive Netherlands B.V., Philippine Branch
· NCR (SME): PACUCOA (Philippine Associataion of Colleges and Universities Commission on Accreditation)
· NCR (Large): Makati Shangri-la Hotel and Resorts, Inc.
· Mindanao (Public Sector): Local Government Unit of General Santos City
People Manager of the Year
· Mindanao (Public Sector): Leah Y. Tolimao, Local Government Unit of General Santos City
People Program of the Year:
· Luzon: 360 Degree Challenge of SIA Engineering Philippines
· Visayas: Qualfon Mission Program of Qualfon Philippines
· NCR (Private Sector): E-Champ Model of Metrobank Card Corporation
· NCR (Public Sector): Volunteerific Program of Land Bank of the Philippines
· Mindanao (Public Sector): Human Resource Development Program of the Local Government Unit of General Santos City
Each of the regional winners presented their best practices and this was followed by a panel discussion/moderated question and answer portion per category led by National Judge Atty. Anthonette Allones of the Career Executive Service Board, Awards Committee member Efren Alberto, DPM, and Regional Board of Judge and PMAP Past President Grace Zata, DPM.
In the evening, PMAP conducted the 43rd Awards Night that named and recognized who among the regional finalists would be named as the national winners. To open the Awards Night, President Gerry welcomed all the guests and PMAP members and discussed briefly the importance of the Awards to PMAP and the organizations who vie and win them. This was followed by a discussion of the PMAP Awards process by Executive Director Rene M. Gener, DPM.
ED Rene informed the body that a total of 67 nominations were received this year and 25 nominees were visited by the committee. 15 regional finalists were named and 11 emerged as the national finalists. He then thanked the Board of Judges and the PMAP Awards Committee members who participated in this year’s search process and even called on stage PMAP Awards Coordinator and Communications Specialist, Issa Nery, who served the committee for the last 4 years and asked her to give her own message as she would be leaving PMAP by the end of July.
Issa gave a few insights on the learnings that she had gained from being the Awards Coordinator from the last four years and thanked the members of the Awards committee, Boards of Judges, and the PMAP Staff for all the support and commitment. After her short speech, the winners were announced by category and the following companies and individuals emerged victorious this year:
Employer of the Year: Makati Shangri-la Hotel & Resorts, Inc.
Makati Shangri-la is the first hotel to be awarded as the PMAP Employer of the Year. The company was awarded for its pioneering programs and benefits in the industry. Makati Shangri-la acknowledges that behind their great customer experience is their employees or what they call colleagues and so they ensure that their employees are well-taken care of as well.
People Program of the Year: 360 Degree Program of SIA Engineering Philippines
Coming from low performance and low employee engagement, SIA Engineering Philippines was able to turn this around through this effective program. With the different activities that showcase employee creativity and care, SIA Engineering Philippines employees are now happier, more engaged and deliver better results, leading to a 360 degree change in the company.
Employer of the Year (Public Sector): LGU of General Santos City
The LGU of General Santos through its Mayor, Ronnel C. Rivera, has helped make General Santos City more progressive and efficient. Through the Human Resources Unit of the LGU, employee programs have been developed leading to better and more efficient services for the citizens of GenSan.
People Manager of the Year (Public Sector): Leah Y. Tolimao, LGU of General Santos City
Having served in the private sector for most of her professional life, Leah Tolimao took on the responsibility of heading the HR function of the LGU of General Santos City when Mayor Ronnel Rivera was elected into the position. She used her experience in the private sector to develop people programs to boost the performance of the government employees. She also always says “Happy HR” which has led the HR department of the LGU to provide happy and efficient service.
People Program of the Year (Public Sector): Volunteerific Program of Land Bank of the Philippines
Land Bank’s Volunteerific Program has become an avenue for employees to spend time doing activities that help people, communities and the environment. Land Bank employees volunteer some of their Saturdays to do activities like visiting Aeta communities, building classrooms, providing scholarships to students, and cleaning up Manila Bay. Through this program, many lives have already been touched as in the testimonies of its many stakeholders.
ABOUT THE PMAP AWARDS
Institutionalized in 1977, the PMAP Awards program conducts an annual search for outstanding organizations and individuals who have shown excellence and distinction in the field of people management. There are three categories for the PMAP Awards:
· Employer of the Year – aims to give recognition to a company that satisfactorily fulfils its people management responsibilities, as demonstrated by its leadership, dynamism, professionalism, strategic thinking and implementation, continuous improvement in HR processes and programs, linkage of HR to business objectives and employee focus.
· People Manager of the Year – recognizes the HR practitioner who has imbibed and modelled the strategic role of human resources in the organizations he/she has been connected with through the exceptional people initiatives and programs addressing people challenges. The awardee makes significant contribution to the development of the HR development and is involved in advocacy and community work.
· People Program of the Year – given to a company or organization for its relevant, unique, innovative and/or cutting-edge program which is designed to provide meaningful contribution and enhance or improve employer-employee relations or meet a specific need of the company or industry.
Since 2018, the PMAP Awards have been recognizing companies on both a regional and national level. Companies are first screened on a regional level – Luzon, Visayas, Mindanao, and NCR and winners from these regions become the finalists for the national awards. The PMAP Awards also recognize companies and individuals from the private (large and SME) and public (government) sectors.